Lord Blackadder
Apr 5, 06:59 PM
Fair enough. I'd be interested in your thoughts on Post No. 50, if you have any.
I agree with the notion that people should try to take steps to avoid risk, and that people can greatly reduce personal risk by making safer choices.
But this nugget of wisdom does not really touch on the substance of the issue arising in the OP, to wit - how much responsiblity does a rape victim carry? Or, to turn the question around, how much of the rape is not the rapist's fault?
What kind of twisted logic hears of a rape decides that looking "like a prostitute" is the salient feature of the case? What about the crazed deviant who committed the crime in the first place? Indeed, I think Gelfin's analogy is apt - if a smartly-dressed man is mugged, should we simply shrug our shoulders and say "well, he looked like he had a lot of money so he was asking for it. He should have been wearing something less ostentatious."
It's also, by the way, fallacious to assume that only young, attractive and/or scantily-clad women are raped. Such suppositions are the product of the same twisted male chauvinist perspective that suggests that looking "like a prostitute" means that women are "asking for it".
I agree with the notion that people should try to take steps to avoid risk, and that people can greatly reduce personal risk by making safer choices.
But this nugget of wisdom does not really touch on the substance of the issue arising in the OP, to wit - how much responsiblity does a rape victim carry? Or, to turn the question around, how much of the rape is not the rapist's fault?
What kind of twisted logic hears of a rape decides that looking "like a prostitute" is the salient feature of the case? What about the crazed deviant who committed the crime in the first place? Indeed, I think Gelfin's analogy is apt - if a smartly-dressed man is mugged, should we simply shrug our shoulders and say "well, he looked like he had a lot of money so he was asking for it. He should have been wearing something less ostentatious."
It's also, by the way, fallacious to assume that only young, attractive and/or scantily-clad women are raped. Such suppositions are the product of the same twisted male chauvinist perspective that suggests that looking "like a prostitute" means that women are "asking for it".

Winni
Mar 31, 10:12 AM
Adobe finally made something useful on the iOS platform.
Which is kind of hard on such a restricted and limited platform. There would be more useful software for the iPad if it ran a 'real' operating system like Mac OS X -- meaning full file system access and not being tied into ONE App Store with arbitrary rules for what a program is allowed to do.
Which is kind of hard on such a restricted and limited platform. There would be more useful software for the iPad if it ran a 'real' operating system like Mac OS X -- meaning full file system access and not being tied into ONE App Store with arbitrary rules for what a program is allowed to do.
Xavier
Sep 28, 02:58 PM
Here is the link to the Peugeot BB1 Commercial: Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5-1CbXvC8I)
Nevermind the car. I think it is futuristic, but pretty dang ugly. I am more interested in the music. I have searched the internet and can't come up with anything other than 'they sound like MGMT (which they are not)
Any ideas on who they might be?
Nevermind the car. I think it is futuristic, but pretty dang ugly. I am more interested in the music. I have searched the internet and can't come up with anything other than 'they sound like MGMT (which they are not)
Any ideas on who they might be?
Blue Velvet
Feb 14, 01:57 PM
...when do you say anything nice about anything other than yourself?
It had to be said...
Respect.
It had to be said...
Respect.
more...
MacRumors
Apr 4, 10:34 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/04/financial-times-holding-out-from-ipad-subscriptions/)
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/04/04/113316-ft_logo.jpg

Julia Stegner by Maciek
more...

Julia Stegner für VOGUE
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/04/04/113316-ft_logo.jpg
solace
Oct 9, 03:11 PM
hmm... laggy?
this seems like the fastest iPhone Twitter client i've used so far (and trust me i've bought just about every one).
switching between the timeline/mentions/messages, the loading is nearly instantenous.
this seems like the fastest iPhone Twitter client i've used so far (and trust me i've bought just about every one).
switching between the timeline/mentions/messages, the loading is nearly instantenous.
more...
MCal27
Nov 15, 06:34 AM
I've mailed Steve twice over this issue. The last time with a link to a petition I started which got over 700 Signatures from Pro Users and Techies' : http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/applepros/ in just a few days. I got zero replies from anyone @ Apple regarding this, though I know for a fact that Apple are aware of it and quite high up the hierarchy too...

Julia Stegner for Vogue
more...

Julia Stegner

Julia Stegner Vogue Germany
more...

Julia Stegner in Vogue Germany

Julia Stegner, Vogue
more...

Julia Stegner:Vogue Germany

Julia Stegner, Vogue November
more...

Julia Stegner and Steven Pan,

Julia Stegner for Vogue
more...

Julia Stegner » Vogue
gugy
Nov 20, 01:11 PM
Don't hold your breath, at least we haven't heard anything about CDMA
true, my days with Verizon are counting down. My contract expires in February anyway. So I hope to see an iPhone by then.
true, my days with Verizon are counting down. My contract expires in February anyway. So I hope to see an iPhone by then.
more...

MrMac'n'Cheese
Mar 27, 09:01 PM
no dude, read the thread. HE cancelled it. you can still see it in completed auctions as ended by the seller. when ebay cancels, it goes *poof*.
That man-boy-troll claims to have peaced-out, but he's still lurking :D
That man-boy-troll claims to have peaced-out, but he's still lurking :D
Shaved Kitty
Jun 17, 01:05 AM
who is going to the ATT store across the street from Wharton?
more...

Sydde
Mar 20, 10:41 PM
No. If you take a life, you get to sit in a small dark room for 23,5 out of 24 hours of each day for the rest of your life. You will not be able to kill yourself, you will have to endure the absolute solitude. (EDIT: This is pretty much only for premeditated stuff, if you ask me)
But what does "premeditated" mean? If I grab a gun, walk across the street and dispatch my neighbor for no apparent reason, was that premeditated? I had to think about it beforehand, from the point of picking up the gun. How about a poker game, where one of the players gets pissed off and kills one of the others for apparently cheating? At some point, the killer had to decide to do it. Given no personal threat at hand, there is a decision point. Right up to the consummation of the act, the killer has the opportunity to decide not to end a life. Be it a month ago, working up an elaborate plan, 5 minutes beforehand, or in the instant the finger squeezes the trigger, premeditation accompanies any deliberate murder. If it is not an accident, it is premeditated, to what extent that is makes little/no difference.
Despite what you, I, or a victim's family might want, incarceration is not punishment. Incarceration is the protection of the public.
Because criminal punishment is simply ineffective. From a perspective of behavioral science, negative reinforcement only works if it is directly and irrevocably linked directly to the action. When the dynamic involves avoiding being caught rather than avoiding the action itself, the relationship between action and consequence breaks down, rendering punishment useless at best. As a result, the only real punishment factor in our justice system is retribution, which I think is a net negative.
Prisons, therefore, have no business trying to mete out punishment by making convicts miserable. It serves no useful purpose and I believe is actually counterproductive in that it breeds resentment toward society in the heart of the prisoner. Everything we do to make the prisoner (who may be released at some point) miserable reduces the likelihood that they can successfully rejoin society. The more problematic ex-cons are, the more money we waste on the system.
Now, I also believe that there are individuals who are wholly incapable of being rehabilitated. Some will simply have to spend their lives behind bars because they are too unstable. In some cases, psychiatric treatment might help, but supervision would be called for. If a fraction of the population can realistically be expected to remain confined for life, we could at least consider setting up facilities in which they would be able to do enough work to make up for their expense. The justice system desperately needs to address its impracticalities.
But what does "premeditated" mean? If I grab a gun, walk across the street and dispatch my neighbor for no apparent reason, was that premeditated? I had to think about it beforehand, from the point of picking up the gun. How about a poker game, where one of the players gets pissed off and kills one of the others for apparently cheating? At some point, the killer had to decide to do it. Given no personal threat at hand, there is a decision point. Right up to the consummation of the act, the killer has the opportunity to decide not to end a life. Be it a month ago, working up an elaborate plan, 5 minutes beforehand, or in the instant the finger squeezes the trigger, premeditation accompanies any deliberate murder. If it is not an accident, it is premeditated, to what extent that is makes little/no difference.
Despite what you, I, or a victim's family might want, incarceration is not punishment. Incarceration is the protection of the public.
Because criminal punishment is simply ineffective. From a perspective of behavioral science, negative reinforcement only works if it is directly and irrevocably linked directly to the action. When the dynamic involves avoiding being caught rather than avoiding the action itself, the relationship between action and consequence breaks down, rendering punishment useless at best. As a result, the only real punishment factor in our justice system is retribution, which I think is a net negative.
Prisons, therefore, have no business trying to mete out punishment by making convicts miserable. It serves no useful purpose and I believe is actually counterproductive in that it breeds resentment toward society in the heart of the prisoner. Everything we do to make the prisoner (who may be released at some point) miserable reduces the likelihood that they can successfully rejoin society. The more problematic ex-cons are, the more money we waste on the system.
Now, I also believe that there are individuals who are wholly incapable of being rehabilitated. Some will simply have to spend their lives behind bars because they are too unstable. In some cases, psychiatric treatment might help, but supervision would be called for. If a fraction of the population can realistically be expected to remain confined for life, we could at least consider setting up facilities in which they would be able to do enough work to make up for their expense. The justice system desperately needs to address its impracticalities.
l.a.rossmann
Apr 23, 07:52 PM
What's the model # on your machine?
When it goes black, is it fully black, or is it just dark as it would be if the brightness were turned all the way down?
I'm guessing this is an a1181, a1211, or a1150 model machine.
When it goes black, is it fully black, or is it just dark as it would be if the brightness were turned all the way down?
I'm guessing this is an a1181, a1211, or a1150 model machine.
more...
likemyorbs
Mar 16, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I thought I was pretty smart in my 20s. I thought the same thing about my 30s when i hit 40.
Well don't you worry, your age group also supports it by a landslide.
Well don't you worry, your age group also supports it by a landslide.
4JNA
Mar 30, 05:53 PM
...I am running a GeForce 6800GT in my Digital Audio G4.
dang, totally forgot about that. i've even linked that before. very useful thread! (click the link in his signature)
...The Geforce 6200 I have doesn't work in MDD's for some odd reason but does work in all other AGP G4 towers.
didn't know that. i've use some 6200s before, but have never owned/used a MDD... wonder why it won't work? did you tape the pins, tried all the other tricks? voltage problem perhaps?!? learn something new every day around here. long live PPC!
dang, totally forgot about that. i've even linked that before. very useful thread! (click the link in his signature)
...The Geforce 6200 I have doesn't work in MDD's for some odd reason but does work in all other AGP G4 towers.
didn't know that. i've use some 6200s before, but have never owned/used a MDD... wonder why it won't work? did you tape the pins, tried all the other tricks? voltage problem perhaps?!? learn something new every day around here. long live PPC!
more...
zen.state
Mar 31, 07:39 AM
MX-2 Thermal Compound done!
Just watching the temps on iStat. How sad am I?
Most paste can take up to a week or two to take it's full effect.
Just watching the temps on iStat. How sad am I?
Most paste can take up to a week or two to take it's full effect.
rhett7660
Apr 7, 04:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)
Awesome. Some might be Coleco exclusives, but I'd probably buy these if available:
Burger Time
Frostbite
Keystone Kapers
Mouse Trap
ZaxxonRiver Raid
Empire Strikes Back
Carnival
Centipede
Kool-Aid Man (lamest game i can remember, but so funny)
Venture
Donkey Kong Jr
Bumper Jumper
Yar's Revenge
Frogger
Missile Command
Zaxxon was a great game!
Frogger was Konami, however it was licensed to just about everyone at the time. Or so it seemed.
Missle Command is included in this Atari release isn't it?
Awesome. Some might be Coleco exclusives, but I'd probably buy these if available:
Burger Time
Frostbite
Keystone Kapers
Mouse Trap
ZaxxonRiver Raid
Empire Strikes Back
Carnival
Centipede
Kool-Aid Man (lamest game i can remember, but so funny)
Venture
Donkey Kong Jr
Bumper Jumper
Yar's Revenge
Frogger
Missile Command
Zaxxon was a great game!
Frogger was Konami, however it was licensed to just about everyone at the time. Or so it seemed.
Missle Command is included in this Atari release isn't it?
more...

MacRumors
Jul 26, 05:55 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
Sonic Solutions (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060725005117&newsLang=en) announced that the newest version of Toast 7 will incorporate Blu-Ray support for the Mac.
This represents the first Blu-Ray support for Macs. With the new format, users will be able to store as much as 50GB of data per disc. The first supported Blu-Ray drives will be shipping later this quarter.

Julia Stegner Vogue France

Julia Stegner for Vogue
Sonic Solutions (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20060725005117&newsLang=en) announced that the newest version of Toast 7 will incorporate Blu-Ray support for the Mac.
This represents the first Blu-Ray support for Macs. With the new format, users will be able to store as much as 50GB of data per disc. The first supported Blu-Ray drives will be shipping later this quarter.
kainjow
Apr 24, 12:18 AM
Second result in google for "How To Access Battery Information in Cocoa" got me here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/272552/battery-status-in-osx

coder12
Apr 25, 12:11 AM
A disgrace on so many levels.
Disgrace has never been so beautiful.:p
Disgrace has never been so beautiful.:p
biosci
Apr 19, 03:17 PM
Overnight my sirius app stops working once the screen fades out or I hit the button on the bottom or top of the ipad.
any ideas?
Just checked my app and it seems to be working fine. I'd close out the app and try again. Or, hard reset and try. Good luck! I LOVE my Sirius!
any ideas?
Just checked my app and it seems to be working fine. I'd close out the app and try again. Or, hard reset and try. Good luck! I LOVE my Sirius!
The.316
Dec 24, 03:49 PM
New radiators for my apartment, which cost 750 euros.
Three new rugs for the apartment, which cost 480 euros.
And a few hundred bucks towards my nearly $1000 online shopping spree.
I needed the radiators BADLY, and my parents got them for me. And the carpets I had were my grandmothers from what seems like centuries ago. We are a little tight on money this Christmas because we did a lot of renovations to my apartment, and to the house where my parents stay in the village. I cant complain though, since Im with my family and friends.
Three new rugs for the apartment, which cost 480 euros.
And a few hundred bucks towards my nearly $1000 online shopping spree.
I needed the radiators BADLY, and my parents got them for me. And the carpets I had were my grandmothers from what seems like centuries ago. We are a little tight on money this Christmas because we did a lot of renovations to my apartment, and to the house where my parents stay in the village. I cant complain though, since Im with my family and friends.
Doctor Q
Aug 19, 12:21 AM
In case you didn't know this, it's not within the 75x75 pixel limit for the contest.
jsf8x
Dec 25, 12:53 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/stratocaster.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/fifa11_boxart.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/p8679630v380.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/DZ1131_main.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/DF68D681A9DE46C9B1BFF3AF06BA63E0_12001.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/0961006021_frt_wmd_001.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/Canon400D_main.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/fifa11_boxart.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/p8679630v380.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/DZ1131_main.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/DF68D681A9DE46C9B1BFF3AF06BA63E0_12001.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/0961006021_frt_wmd_001.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x159/eliteguard98/Canon400D_main.jpg
parapup
Apr 20, 09:08 PM
Victory? Apple is at war?
Didn't you get the memo (http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-jobs-epic-5-minute-anti-google-rant-2010-10)? :p (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/20/apple-on-android-fragmentation-lte-steve-jobs-involvement/)
Didn't you get the memo (http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-jobs-epic-5-minute-anti-google-rant-2010-10)? :p (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/20/apple-on-android-fragmentation-lte-steve-jobs-involvement/)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment